How-To: Data Management Planning
Data Management Plans are demanded by an increasing number of funding agencies, but also by research institutions themselves, to be delivered either directly upon handing in a funding proposal, or to be created or updated over the course of a research project.
At the Göttingen Campus, you can find support for creating a Data Management Plan at the eResearch Alliance. We can consult you on specific requirements or assist you with filling in a template from your funding agency. We also provide a template and below a list of different tools and resources to either directly create a DMP, or to learn more about the purpose, structure and content of a DMP.
The eResearch Alliance has evaluated and adapted a tool to assist researchers in developing, updating and partially reusing DMPs for different funders’ requirements: GRO.plan is based on the Tool RDMO and reachable via the Portal Göttingen Research Online.
Resources on DMPs
- FDM requirements from research funders
- WissGrid guidelines and checklist for research data management (only in German)
- Many aspects of research data management are covered in the Handbuch Forschungsdatenmanagement (only in German)
- CLARIN-D Data management wizard
- GFBio Data Management Planning Tool
- ARGOS – an open service by OpenAIRE to create and manage actionable DMPs
- The Data Management Plan Catalogue (DMP CAT) by LIBER provides a hub for DMPs from different disciplines.
- DataONE (Data Observation Network for Earth) offers Best Practices for working with data.
- The DCC Checklist for a Data Management Plan presents the main DMP topics and questions for researchers.
- DMP-Online is the DCCs data management planning tool. The DCC also offers many other useful material on data management and digital curation.
- DMPTool: Data Management Tool of the University of California
- The MIT Library offers a comprehensive site on Data Management
Resources for the evaluation of DMPs
- The Belmont Forum Data Management Plan Scorecard as evaluation tool for formally submitted DMPs
- The FAIRsFAIR FAIR-Aware additional guidance to the Science Europe DMP assessment rubric in the Science Europe Practical Guide to the International Alignment of Research Data Management
- DCCs Horizon 2020 DMP compliance rubric