CDSTAR-based Research Data Platform
The repository software CDSTAR was developed by the GWDG and has already been used as a basis for several project-specific data platforms in research projects. Some examples can be accessed by clicking the respective project logos below.
CDStar is package-oriented data-management framework for scientific and other data-driven applications. It enables the development of powerful tools and workflows against a simple and stable REST interfaces that hides away the details and complexities of the actual storage back-end in use.
CDSTAR is designed as a “headless” repository, providing functionality to other command-line, desktop- or web-applications via stable and flexible APIs. It was developed and is maintained by the GWDG, which also provides a demo instance.
Features of CDSTAR-based platforms:
- Scalable storage: There is no artificial limit on file size or number of packages. CDSTAR scales effortlessly to millions of packages and huge amounts of data.
- Fine grained access control: Permissions can be defined per package, or globally for all packages of a vault via LDAP or other pluggable identity providers.
- Strong Consistency: Execute complex workflows with high confidence thanks to fully isolated ACID transactions, revision history and audit logs. All operations are atomic and synchronized with the backing storage by default.
- Search: CDSTAR integrates with elasticsearch to allow near real-time search, both full-text and for specific meta-data attributes. Other targets (e.g. databases or caches) or custom background tasks can be integrated via message-passing protocols.
- Long term archiving: CDSTAR integrates with Koala and other long term storage systems to archive or recover individual packages based on automated policy rules or user request.