We frequently feature a specific service, event, initiative or other news on this page in detail. Check out this page to learn something new that might be helpful for your daily research work!
Rocket.Chat is a web based persistent messaging service hosted at GWDG. It is a simple and intuitive platform which focuses on group communication.
What this service offers to you
- You can chat with your project team, your working group or any other group of colleagues you want to quickly communicate with in specific communication channels
- You can exchange files, e.g. data files, pictures or videos
- You can chat with one person directly if needed
- You can search for people using Rocket.Chat via the search function
- You can integrate other services like GitLab via bot or API
- You can import data from services (e.g. Slack) into Rocket.Chat
- You have the sovereignty over your communication
- Your data is encrypted, as is the service
- You decide if your channel is publicly or privately visible
- Your uploaded files are automatically scanned for viruses by Sophos
- You can own numerous channels for different groups or group constellations
- You can add external project colleagues to your channels
You can use the service in this way
- You need a valid GWDG-account
- You have to use a valid email address with your password for logging in
- Users without an account can register one at GWDG registration
- You can use the web interface via any current web browser or install a client or app. Clients are available for Windows, macOS and Linux, Apps for iOS and Android.
Further information and support
pages @ GWDG
- Article on Rocket.Chat in GWDG News 4|2018 (in German)
- Article on Rocket.Chat in GWDG News 5|2017 (in German)