Data management planning
The design of a data management strategy should start already in the planning phase of a project. The Göttingen eResearch Alliance actively supports researchers to plan and conduct research data management according to the Research Data Policy of Göttingen University during all phases of the research life cycle.
To get started with your own data management planning you can use our Research Data Management Plan Template. In this document you can find the most essential questions for a data management plan. There are some useful tools and resources on the web that can help you with planning your research data management. A selection is listed at the bottom of this page.
If you want to define or structure the data management of your starting or ongoing project, it can be helpful to write a Research Data Policy. Such a document usually governs the everyday exchange, storage and documentation of research data and its use for publications in a project or research group. You can find some examples from the Göttinge Campus at the bottom of this page.
In cooperation with the university's Research Office (Abteilung Forschung), we support you in specifying eResearch aspects in your funding proposal. We currently focus on research data management support for proposals to DFG coordinated programmes, in particular for Collaborative Research Centers, Research Training Groups and Research Units. As the DFG actively promotes a sustainable data management policy based on the principles of Open Access, we have established a workflow with the Research Office and the university’s research commission regarding time plans and communicating responsibilities for counselling different proposal types and proposal aspects. This workflow also includes the University Medical Center Göttingen.
The Göttingen eResearch Alliance provides an evaluation of eResearch related issues in the final proposal, which serves as an aid for the university’s research commission (and the presidential board) in their approval decision. Together with the Research Office we have developed a guide (only in German) which provides a collection of aspects we look at.
Especially for large grant proposals we are happy to assist you personally. Contact us!
Further material and information:
- WissGrid guidelines and checklist for research data management (only in German)
- Many aspects of research data management are covered in the Handbuch Forschungsdatenmanagement (only in German)
- CLARIN-D Data management wizard (in German), also available in English
- GFBio Data Management Planning Tool (only in English)
- DataONE (Data Observation Network for Earth) offers Best Practices for the work with data.
- The DCC Checklist for a Data Management Plan presents the main DMP topics and questions for researchers.
- DMP-Online is the DCCs data management planning tool. The DCC also offers many other useful material on data management and digital curation.
- DMPTool: Data Management Tool of the University of California
- The MIT Library offers a comprehensive site on Data Management