Data management planning
The arrangement of a data management strategie begins even before the start of a project. We actively support researchers to plan and conduct research data management according to the Research Data Policy of Göttingen University during all phases of the research life cycle.
In cooperation with the Research Office (Abteilung Forschung), we support you in raising research funding. We currently focus on research data management support for DFG proposals for Collaborative Research Centers, Research Training Groups and Research Units. As the DFG actively promotes a sustainable data management policy based on the principles of Open Access we have established a workflow with the university’s research office and the university’s research commission regarding time plans and communicating responsibilities for counselling different proposal types and proposal aspects. This workflow also includes the University Medical Center Göttingen.
The Göttingen eResearch Alliance provides an evaluation of the handling of research data related issues in the final proposal, which serves as an aid for the university’s research commission (and the presidential board) in their approval decision. Together with the Research Office we have developed a guide (only in German) which provides a collection of aspects we look at.
To get started with an own data management plan you can use our Research Data Management Plan Template. In this document you can find the most essential questions for a data management plan. There are some useful tools and resources in the web that can help you with planning your research data management. A selection is listed below.
- DataONE (Data Observation Network for Earth) offers Best Practices for the work with data.
- DCC (Digital Curation Centre) Checklist for a Data Management Plan. This checklist presents the main themes and questions that researchers may want to cover when writing a data management plan using DMP-Online, the DCCs data management planning tool. The DCC offers many other useful material on data management and digital curation, start exploring.
- DMPTool: Data Management Tool of the University of California
- The MIT Library (Massachusetts Institute for Technology) offers a comprehensive site on Data Management
- CLARIN-D Data management wizard
- WissGrid checklist for research data mangement (only in German)
- Many aspects of research data management are covered in the Handbuch Forschungsdatenmanagement (only in German)
Especially for large grant proposals we are happy to assist you personally. Get connected!