Data management planning
The design of a data management strategy should start already in the planning phase of a project. The Göttingen eResearch Alliance actively supports researchers to plan and conduct research data management according to the Research Data Policy of Göttingen University during all phases of the research life cycle.
To get started with your own data management planning you can use our Research Data Management Plan Template. This document lists the most essential questions for a data management plan. There are other useful tools and resources on the web that can help you with planning your research data management. A selection is listed at the bottom of this page.
If you want to define or structure the data management of your starting or ongoing project, it can be helpful to write a Research Data Policy which governs the everyday exchange, storage and documentation of research data and its use for publications in a project or research group.
Further material and information:
- WissGrid guidelines and checklist for research data management (only in German)
- Many aspects of research data management are covered in the Handbuch Forschungsdatenmanagement (only in German)
- CLARIN-D Data management wizard
- GFBio Data Management Planning Tool (only in English)
- DataONE (Data Observation Network for Earth) offers Best Practices for working with data.
- The DCC Checklist for a Data Management Plan presents the main DMP topics and questions for researchers.
- DMP-Online is the DCCs data management planning tool. The DCC also offers many other useful material on data management and digital curation.
- DMPTool: Data Management Tool of the University of California
- The MIT Library offers a comprehensive site on Data Management