Backup and Archiving
Safe storage and archiving of digital research data is a central concern of all researchers. To prevent data loss, the infrastructure providers at the Göttingen Campus offer services which will support you in the storing your research data both during and after your research project.
Storage, Backup & Archiving @ Göttingen Campus
- ownCloud: Sync and share functionalities
- Active Directory: Facilitates access to resources on the network for users through centralized management of user IDs, computers and printers
- CrashPlan ProE: Encrypted endpoint backup solution
- IBM TSM/ISP: Backup service for large data amounts, ideal for any kind of servers
- Data Archiving: For long-term storing large amounts of data while still maintaining access to the files
Repositories @ Göttingen Campus
- Humanities Data Center: Services for long-time archival of human sciences research data & consultation and support of researchers
- TextGrid Repository: Digital preservation archive for human sciences research data
- DARIAH-DE Repository: Digital long-term archive for human and cultural-scientific research data
The short- and long-term preservation of the rapidly growing amount of research data presents a challenge to both researchers and research institutions. Several national and international funding organisations have requirements or guidelines on how research data should be stored, backed up and archived.
More information on Funders' requirements.
If you want to learn more about requirements and strategies for backups and data archiving, please read our Explain! article